2014年5月9日星期五

Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography
1.      Dixon, Wheeler Winston. "Women In Film: An International Guide." Literature Film Quarterly 21.3 (1993): 235. Academic Search Premier. Web. 4 May 2014.
This book uses films to focus on some problems that related women, for examples, Sexist and exclusionary. The author is a reporter, and also is a woman. Therefore, she uses her women view to write this book, and describes movies in some specific plot to prove her argument.
According to this book, I can use the way she demonstrates her arguments. My topic is the representative of Chinese women in western movies. The similar parts to this book are that we use movies to illustrate our statements. However, I cannot use her arguments in my paper, because we focus on different directions of women.
In this book, author not only has her own views about women in the film, but also quotes other scholars’ statements. Maybe, I cannot use their arguments directly, but I can get some inspiration from them to expand my paper.

2.      Gates, Philippa. "The Maritorious Melodrama: Film Noir With A Female Detective." Journal Of Film & Video 61.3 (2009): 24-39. Academic Search Premier. Web. 4 May 2014.
This book discusses a woman of the 1940s who takes the role of a detective in a film noir in the America. Besides, it talks about the switch to demonization from the ceremony of the independent and career-oriented females. The author just focuses on one type films, and the representatives of women in this type films.
The author of this book study the representative of women in film nor, and reasons why the women have such characters in the films. In order to explain his reasons more clearly, the author uses a lot of background information to help readers be familiar with the noir. I can use this way to make my paper become more clearly, and use some reasons to illustrate the reason cause wrong representative of Chinese women in western movies.
This book gives me some way to figure out the reasons why western movies have wrong representative of Chinese women. Although the book and my paper have different topic and directions of paper, it still helps me to develop my paper in some way.

3.      Tuan, Iris H. "Chinese Women's Cinema: Transnational Contexts." Journal Of Asian Studies 71.3 (2012): 791-792. Academic Search Premier. Web. 4 May 2014.
      The book introduces Chinese women in cinema, and the representative of Chinese women in movies. It includes the reason why Chinese women begin to take part in the cinema, what kinds of representative of Chinese women in movies, and what are the transnational contexts in cinema.
      This book is not the research book, because it pays more attention to introduce the phenomenon of Chinese women’s cinema. According to this book, I can get some information about Chinese women in Chinese movies. It is helpful for me to compare with the representative of Chinese women. This book gives me the direction of Chinese women’s character in traditional Chinese movies.
      Because my topic is representative of Chinese women in western movies, the first step of my work is to figure out the representative of Chinese women in traditional Chinese movies. This book has specific examples that is beneficial for me to state the Chinese women characters.

4.      Kim, Youna. Transnational Migration, Media and Identity of Asian Women : Diasporic Daughters. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis, 2013. Ebook Library. Web. 05 May. 2014
      The book introduces the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean women who living and study in the west. Most of them are transnational migration. During the period that they adapt the life living in west, they accept the way that western people lived, but also keep some parts of old way that they used have.
      In the book, the author uses a lot of examples to show the living condition of Asian women, and discusses reasons why they become like this why. In order to figure out the reason why western movies have wrong representative of Chinese women, I can quote some reasons in this book to illustrate my statement. Besides, the examples also can help my paper become more reliable. This book combines the examples and reason together, it also beneficial for me to organize my paper.
       The author provides a lot of examples of Asian women in the west, but I cannot use every example in my paper. Therefore, I should figure out the best example to prove my reasons and statement, rather than just quote examples to expand my paper.

5.      Jónasdóttir, Anna G.; Bryson, Valerie; Jones, Kathleen B.. Sexuality, Gender and Power : Intersectional and Transnational Perspectives. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis, 2011. Ebook Library. Web. 05 May. 2014.
      The author of this book introduces the sexuality, gender and power in intersectional and transnational perspectives. The main parts of this book do not have strong relationship with my research paper, because my topic is the representative of Chinese women in western movies. However, the book includes some reasons that explain the women in different countries have different characters in social media.
       In general, movie is a kind of social media. The reasons that are included in the book can help me to expand my minds to develop my research paper. Different papers have different thoughts and different directions to develop similar topic. I can get some new views to help my paper to discuss the paper in more interesting ways. What is more, the book gives me a international view to see the problems.
      To be honestly, there are no directly information and examples that I can use in my research paper.       However, I can analysis it and use it in another way. There are a lot of statement that author argues, so I should read more careful to find the most useful information that I need.

6.      Mjelde-Mossey, Lee Ann; Chi, Iris. Women and Aging International Diversity : Diversity, Challenges and Contributions. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis, 2013. Ebook Library. Web. 05 May. 2014.
      The author in this article introduces the situation that there are more and more aging women. Compared with aging men, the aging women face more difficulties and dilemma. The article has special view to focus on the aging women and uses the movies to show their difficulties. Different from other articles, this article pays more attention to the representative of aging women.
      It is similar to my paper, because I focus on the representative of Chinese women in western movies. The way this paper organize its content, and I also can get benefit from the women representatives. Although I choose Chinese women as my main object, I also can get other kinds of women to make my object become more obvious.
      Maybe, this article cannot give me a lot of materials that I can use in my paper, but there are still some parts that help me to expand my paper. For example, I can figure out the representative of aging Chinese women in western movies, and quote some reasons that cause the differences in the movies.

7.      Halkias, Daphne; Thurman, Paul; Harkiolakis, Nicholas. Female Immigrant Entrepreneurs : The Economic and Social Impact of a Global Phenomenon. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2011. Ebook Library. Web. 05 May. 2014.
      The book describes the phenomenon that there are a growing number of female immigrants have entrepreneurs due to the impact of a global phenomenon. The author of this book also introduces reasons why female immigrants play more and more important roles in the Economic.
      Although, this book does not have direct relationship with my topic – the representative of Chinese women in western movies, it still can figure out the change of Chinese women characters in movies. Because most western movies thinks Chinese women are housewife, but they already change the character with the impact of economy.
      Therefore, I can use the reasons and phenomenon that are included in this book, and to figure out the reason why western movies have wrong impression about Chinese women. What is more, I also can use the impact of global phenomenon to explain the process of characters deliver. Different people have different thoughts about one representatives and character. It is normal that western people have wrong impression about Chinese women during the process of culture exchange. Thus, this book can help me to introduce this part with more details.

8.      Judge, Joan. "Blended Wish Images: Chinese And Western Exemplary Women At The Turn Of The Twentieth Century." NAN NU -- Men, Women & Gender In Early & Imperial China 6.1 (2004): 102-135. Academic Search Premier. Web. 5 May 2014.
The author of this book describes the situation that Chinese women have changed a lot with the culture exchange between china and the western. It is obvious that people influence by the different kind of culture, and the culture also can be changed by the people’s behaving. The representatives of women in western movies have several types. Some of them are similar to the Chinese traditional women, but a large part of them are far away from the way we thinking.
In the book, the author argues that the western people influence by the culture exchange. They regard Chinese women as the culture that has changed by the process of exchanging. It is obvious that the representatives of Chinese women are not the same one that the original one. Therefore, this book gives me one reason to talk about the reason why western people have wrong impression in movies about Chinese people.
According to the resources, there are a lot of information and reasons that can explain why western people have wrong impression about Chinese women, but not everyone is important. Therefore, I should collect all the information and reasons. After I comparing them all, I can choose the better one to explain them.

9.      GRANDY, CHRISTINE. "Paying For Love: Women's Work And Love In Popular Film In Interwar Britain." Journal Of The History Of Sexuality 19.3 (2010): 483-507. Academic Search Premier. Web. 5 May 2014.
      The author of this book describes the representative of Britain women in American movies. There are some movies to show what the Britain women look like in American movies. Besides, the author also compares the differences between the Britain women and American women in movies. According to authors argue, although Britain women and American women both are in western movies, they still have several differences. In the book, the author uses a lot of plots and movies to prove his statement.
     This book is similar to my book in some way. My topic is the representative of Chinese women in western movies. In the general, the western movies have wrong impression about Chinese women and use wrong representative of Chinese women in movies. This situation is similar to author’s arguments. I can learn from his statement, and develop my own argument like he does. However, we still have different topic and different directions about our paper, so I cannot totally quote his argument. I should give my own argument about my paper.
      This resource can help me to develop my arguments, but I still need to figure out my own problems. This book may give me a way to develop my paper.

10.  Chou, Kuo-I. "Aerial Sublime V.S. Wired Sublime: Gender Politics In The Chinese Martial Arts Film." Conference Papers -- Midwestern Political Science Association (2009): 1. Academic Search Premier. Web. 5 May 2014.
      The author of this book introduces some Chinese movies that are famous in western, for example, “Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon”. In this movie, the director shows the several Chinese women who have Chinese Kungfu. Due to this movie, most western people have strong impressions that Chinese women have powerful Kungfu. Besides, this movie affects a lot of Chinese women in western movies, so there are a plenty of movies that Chinese women have Chinese Kungfu.
       In this book, the author shows the one of reasons that affects the representatives of Chinese women in western movies. I can quote some part of author’s arguments that can explain why western people have wrong impressions about Chinese women. However, I only can get this reason from this book. The other parts of this book focus on the Chinese elements that affect western movies. These have no relationship with my paper.

      In order to make my research paper more reliable, I cannot just use this one reason of this resource. I can quote the statements from this book, but I still need to illustrate this statement in my own words.

没有评论:

发表评论